NEA vs. MSTA

Being a somewhat new teacher, I’m again asking for advice on a more professional level.  I would like to know what is the difference between NEA and MSTA.  I’m not asking for a fight between members, I would just appreciate someone explaining the differences.  I assume I know the benefits, but I don’t understand why you should join and what I can expect from a membership.  Please let me know what you think and how important it is to join.  Price is also a factor, so include those as well.  Thanks!

2 Responses to “NEA vs. MSTA”

1.    Shannon Says:

I used to be a member of NEA- but I’m no longer a member of either one. I think NEA is more expensive and it is a national organization. MSTA is a state organization. I’m not sure exactly all the benefits- I used to pay each month to be a member of NEA, but then realized I didn’t know why I really needed it, so I quit. I did get a magazine each month! That’s about it. I guess if you’re sued it would cover you.

2.    Amanda Says:

I got stuck with being the MSTA building rep here at Eastmorland. I should know more than I do! I know that currently MSTA is working toward fair pay for teachers across the state and our money goes toward that cause. I think that both organizations are always working towards bettering the job as a teacher and of course protecting teachers against lawsuits. I’ve heard people say that it doesn’t really matter which one you are in, what matters is that you are in one or the other so that you are contributing. Whether you are a member or not, you will get the benefits from what the organization does, so might as well join one I guess!